Important links from ONA and other network news
Recommended links for the weekend:
- Lessons in journalism entrepreneurship from the ONA - Best advice from Om Malik: “Just do it.” Doing it is where you learn.
- A quick primer on making software – best practices, tools and further reading - Version control and defect tracking are probably going to be the newest concepts to the average journalist. Important stuff to know.
- danielbachhuber: News sites need to rethink their approach to navigation. “What gets used more is navigation that is contextually relevant.” #ONAUX #ONA09
- Students are smarter than they get credit for and they need to sell you on that – Young people are smart and deserve credit. The baby boomers need to realize that. (tks Brian Manzullo)
- In the forum, the Mustang Daily has mockups for a new redesign and Ethan Klapper generated a number of ideas for a landing page to curate content around the Dalai Lama’s visit this weekend.
- trobertson: @copress I’m running student-run hyperlocal web site on Joomla. Would like to share ideas, connect and contribute. http://tr.im/xhwC
- My aggregation experience: The Michigan government shutdown – Brian Manzullo explains how curating content when he didn’t have reporters to cover a story still helped engage readers with an important story.
- maxcutler: Advance notice: YDN hosting second annual Business and Online conference weekend of Nov 14. More info and website coming soon
- albertsun: Check out @dailypenn‘s new website, http://thedp.com and congratulate @dget and @emilybabay!
Add your links to the mix by joining the CoPress Newsgroup on Publish2.